Diocesan Annual Appeal Surpasses $5 Million Goal
The Most Reverend Joseph C. Bambera, D.D., J.C.L., Bishop of Scranton, has announced that the 2016 Diocesan Annual Appeal has raised $5,056,000 in gifts and pledges, surpassing the goal of $5 million.
The Annual Appeal has received gifts and pledges from 31,211 donors. Seventy-five parishes surpassed their Annual Appeal parish goal.
“I am thankful for the generosity of parishioners throughout our Diocese. Your gifts to the Appeal help our Diocesan ministries respond to all those in need of God’s mercy and love in our local Church. I also appreciate the commitment of our pastors and parish staffs for the work they do each year in support of the Appeal,” said Bishop Bambera. “It is such a joy to know that together, we can have a meaningful impact on the lives of so many of our family and friends.”
Gifts to the Diocesan Annual Appeal support the mission of our local Church to:
- Feed the hungry, clothe and provide shelter and assistance for those most in need
- Care for our retired bishops and priests who have faithfully served, and continue to serve, the needs of the faithful in our Diocese
- Encourage and support our men who are in formation to become priests and deacons as we look to the future of our parishes and our Diocese
- Support our young people in our Catholic schools and in our parish religious education programs by helping them to prepare for fulfilling and faith-centered lives
- Renew and strengthen our parish communities by providing opportunities for all of us to more fully share their personal gifts in devoted service to God and one another
- Joyfully proclaim the message of the Gospel by informing and inspiring the faithful of our Diocese through The Catholic Light, CTV: Catholic Television, and the Diocesan website.
“I extend my gratitude to our Appeal regional chairs and parish representatives for their commitment to the success of this important Diocesan fundraising effort,” said Jim Bebla, Diocesan Secretary for Development. “More than 150 volunteers work in partnership with pastors and parish staffs to help coordinate Annual Appeal activities in our parishes, speak about the Appeal at Masses and invite parishioners to join us in this good work.”
This year’s Annual Appeal regional lay and clergy chairs were:
Bradford, Sullivan & Susquehanna Counties – Dr. Robert and Dr. Barbara Wywiorski, SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Towanda, and Father David Cramer, St. Lawrence Parish, Great Bend; St. Martin of Tours Parish, Jackson and St. John the Evangelist Parish, Susquehanna
Lackawanna & Wyoming Counties – Atty. Joseph and Atty. Judy Price, St. Mary of the Lake Parish, Lake Winola, and Father Christopher Sahd, Christ the King Parish, Archbald
Luzerne County – George and Karen Hayden, St. Jude Parish, Mountain Top, and Father John Lambert, SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Plains
Lycoming & Tioga Counties – John and Joan Eck, St. Joseph the Worker Parish, Williamsport, and Father John Victoria, St. Ann Parish, Williamsport
Monroe County – Pat and Joan Ross, Our Lady of Victory Parish, Tannersville, and Father Sean Carpenter, St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish, Pocono Pines
Wayne & Pike Counties – Mike and Allyson Cavage, St. Mary Parish, Waymart, and Father Thomas Major, St. Ann Parish, Shohola; and St. John Neumann Parish, Lords Valley
Gifts to the 2016 Diocesan Annual Appeal will continue to be accepted until our fiscal year ends on June 30, 2017. Anyone wishing to make a donation may contact the Diocesan Development Office at Development@dioceseofscranton.org or 570-207-2250.